It doesn’t get much worse than coming to the end of the day during a cold season and finding your plumbing or heating gone wrong. We all dread those sleepless cold night and even wonder how they managed 150 years ago without central heating. Our job at Speedy Gas London is to ensure you don’t run into this scenario, or if you do, to provide an immediate-response plumbing or heating service.
Water wastage and leaks
- Alway keep a look out for water where it shouldn’t be – Any slow drips or puddle areas, even if it is making an exit outside will increase your water bill and can create mould, which is dangerous for your health and can cause deterioration to your home. A sudden spike in a water bills can indicate a broken pipe or something similar causing a loss of water.
Did you know… gas and electricity bills have risen over the past five years by 51% (Ofgem)
- Prevent grease building up to stop drains blocking. There are so many products on the market that are easy to use for this purpose. Periodically pouring boiling water down the drain will also help. Keep an eye out for accumulation of hair in the drain. Having a good screen over the opening and keeping it cleaned off will prevent this from happening.
Did you know… 47% of households have never switched their energy supplier (University of East Anglia).
- Frozen water will interfere with both heating and plumbing is frozen water pipes. Insulated all you pipes well and in the winter disconnect and drain your garden hose. The indoor cut-off valve should be turned off and the faucet left open to prevent freezing in the waterlines.
Did you know.. if your boiler is over fifteen years old, you could save around 35p per £1 by investing in a high efficiency model. This could save the average household up to £240 every year, according to Vaillant.
- Keeping your smoke alarms in good condition will prevent fires which puts your life in danger and be very expensive. Alarm batteries should be changed at least once a year. Using the proper light bulbs for wattage will also save you money in the long run.
Did you know… £1,044 is the average annual gas and electricity bill for a family living in a three-bedroom house, according to Ofgem.
- If you’re not filling up your washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher, use the half-load or economy program and the washing machine’s 30°C wash if possible. This saves you up to three-quarters the cost of the hottest cycle. In the kitchen, only boil as much water as you will use.
Did you know… building regulations recommend at least 270mm (10½ inches) of loft insulation. Anything less than 8-10inches could be costing up to 25% on your bill, according to British Gas.
- When it’s cold close vents and shut doors in unused rooms. This can save you a huge amount of money especially if you have a lot of unused rooms. When you’re using the oven leave the door ajar when finished and let the heat come into the room, and open doors of sunny rooms. you don’t need a high temperature at night, when sleeping, or when on holiday. The thermostat should be less than 70 degrees during these times. Wear warm clothing around the house in cold weather and less heating will be needed. Weather stripping around doors and windows in older homes will reduce the incoming cold considerably. If you turned your room heating thermostat down by 1°C you would cut your heating bills by up to 10%; this could save you around £40 per year.
Did you know… Your body is actually naturally inclined to go to sleep at lower temperatures, so turning the temperature down keeping the bedroom cooler than the rest of the house will save you money and could even help any who struggle with sleeping patterns.
Talk to a member of Speedy Gas today to discuss your home central heating system or plumbing.